Lately there have been a few reports of the thornback rays showing up in the local tidal river in good numbers so I thought i,d set out to catch one. I have caught a few thornies in the past but I,m far from proficient at it, so I,ve set myself a little goal of fishing for them more over the next couple of months so that I can learn as much about them for future fishing trips. They're actually not too difficult a species to catch as they're not really rig shy and as long as a nice fresh bait is placed in front of them then you,re in with a chance. Anyways I arrived at my chosen location, after a 2 mile grueller of a walk, an hour before low water planning to fish the tide up until it was pulling too hard, making the fishing uncomfortable. TRAPS SET As the picture shows the water here is a long way down which makes retrieving your tackle, or fish for that matter, a tricky affair. But its worth sliding down the wall and clambering over the rocks when needed as this spot is str...
So last Wednesday I finally got my wish and loaded the van and headed to the big water for a day chasing 'Old Esox'. Weather was forecast to be sunny, cold and very little wind, which is not my favourite conditions to be fishing in, but 'sod it' said I, I'm still going. Arriving at first light I could just see that the area of lake I had chosen was teeming with silverfish dimpling all over the place. Especially along a line about 50yds out from the banks, I believe this is probably where the marginal weed thins out, not that there is much around at this time of year. Barrow loaded and off I went to find the first swim along the bank that I had chosen, one which I have not fished before. I've fished the opposite bank a fair bit but haven't done so on this side, all I have done is have a little lead around, a couple of years ago, just to get a feel for the topography of the bottom, it doesn't vary much until you get further up the bank but more of that la...
So since last posting on here I havn,t had a lot of time to do much fishing really. I,ve spent a lot of my free time building, modifying and writing content for my countryside/outdoors based website/blog, give it a view and see what you think as I,d love your feedback BRYANS COUNTRYSIDE , I,m pretty proud of what I,ve built to be quite honest with you. Its surprising how much time it takes to write a half decent post though, let alone the time it takes to edit the multitude of photos that I take whilst out and about on my adventures. I do enjoy doing it all though and hopefully I can keep growing the site. Anyways back to the limited fishing I have actually done. As soon as Boris allowed us to fish overnight I was camped up on the Big Water for a couple of nights in pursuit of its carpy residents. In short I didn't even manage to land a bream let alone a carp even though the first night saw lots of small lifts and knocks showing on my alarms. I'm never disheartened if I blank ...
Comments
Post a Comment