STILLWATER PERCH, OR LACK OFF

Midday i arrived at a local club stillwater to have a go for the big perch i,ve heard rumoured that live there. I,ve fished it a couple of times last year but as yet have not managed to bank any perch over a few ounces but I keep thinking that there must be some biggies in there as its teeming with stunted silverfish. Anyway I set up half down the right side bank as the other two swims that I was hoping to get in are taken, this doesn,t bother too much as last time I was here in the next swim, which I can easily cast to, I found a deeper hole in the lakes bed close in and had some good fun catching double figure carp on my perch gear. the weather was overcast but mild with quite a strong breeze, jumper weather really.

I mixed up a nice dark groundbait mix of 50/50 van den eynde super black and sensas red magic along with chopped worms, maggots, liquid worm and grub juice and feed an area close in along the bank and another  two rod lengths out where the at the bottom of the marginal shelf. I cast my floatfished lobworm to the farther spot but after a couple of hours not even a twitch on the float so I drop back into my marginal area and straight away start to catch some small perch. I was getting lots of dips and tugs on my float so I swapped over to my bit catching gear to see if I could winkle out some livies. Straight away on my maggot hookbait I started to catch some lovely roach between half pound to just over a pound, which was great but I really wanted some little uns.

Then after 30 mins or so I hooked into something that just shot off across the lake. After 15 minutes I netted this ugly looking common carp which weighed in at just over 10lbs. After that fish the swim went dead and nothing else succumbed to any tactic that I tried.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'RAYS' OF SUNSHINE

SMALL RIVER ROVING