PIKING.......


So i,ve been suffering from an Incasserated Ubilical Hernia since christmas which basically stopped me from doing much, fishing, walking, working, so i have basically been moping around the house. Fortunately i had an op to repair the hernia mid January which was good but meant that for a couple of weeks i was even more house bound as the wound healed up. I was meant to stay of my feet for a couple of weeks and no activities for a couple more, but i could,t wait and as soon as i was fit enough to walk i packed my pike fishing gear and headed of to a local water for a 'gentle' couple of hours dangling.

Upon arriving in my chosen swim i dropped a float fished half herring in the near margins and turned round to set up my other rod, my rods were already tackle up but just needed the rod sections putting together a trace clipped on and bait hooked. I,d just finished hooking up a small roach deadbait, horizontally so it could drift around the swim, when i noticed my margin float start to slide away. I gave it a chance to get the hooks in its mouth as it was playing around with the bait a bit before the float then disappeared and i set the hooks home, or at least i thought i had. A good scrap ensued as the fish powered up the margin and it felt like a good fish when all of a sudden the hooks came out and i was left with that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that you may have just lost a decent size pike, BOLLIX.....

Well i fished that swim hard for a couple of hours but to avail as nothing even sniffed at my array of mouthwatering deadbeats whether they were static, drifted or wobbled, so i upped sticks and moved to another swim in a small bay which I've been meaning to fish for years but never got round too. One bait was cast to some reeds and the drifted roach was dropped in the near margins where it slowly drifted on the breeze underneath a lovely over hanging bush. As soon as the drifted bait touched the outer branches, so to speak, of the bush the float shot under and after a spirited fight this little fella popped up to save me from a blank. That was it for my couple hours fishing but i wasn,t complaining as it got me out of the house and into the fresh air again.  As always i learnt a little more about this water which again is stored in the memory banks for my next visit whenever that may be. One thing i did learn was to not wear my welly boots when i have to walk up and down wet, muddy slippery slopes as they are shite for getting a grip. Three times i lost my footing and ended up on my arse, and not just little slips either, proper legs up and out and crumpling on the ground like a sack of old potatoes. Lucky there was none else fishing because i must of looked a right tit......


 As usual i was having a mooch around the banks, while i was waiting for the bites that never came, and i found this half a shell of a swan mussel. Look at the size of the thing, its definitely the biggest that i,ve seen, and i used to sell them many years ago. I wonder how old it was before it died, i,m not sure if you can count the rings on the shell to tell its age, i,ll have to look it up.





Anyway i had an enjoyable couple of hours and it blew the cobwebs out. Roll on next trip.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'RAYS' OF SUNSHINE

SELLING MY BOAT

SMALL RIVER ROVING