ITS BEEN A WHILE....

Well its been quite some time since i last updated my blog. Not a lot has happened really fishing wise, i,ve been really busy getting my new business venture of the ground and taking a much needed holiday in the sun with my lovely lady. I have been making plans for this winters fishing though and am chomping at the bit for the pike season to begin. I do lure fish a little during the summer but its the winters bait fishing that gets my blood flowing. I,ve also been doing some research into a couple of local club waters that have catfish in them ready for next season.

Well lets start with the holiday, and what a holiday it was too. We spent a fortnight on the Island of St Vincent in The Grenadines, at a beautiful resort called Buccament Bay. The resort was fantastic, beautiful setting, good food, friendly people, good food, cracking weather, good food. Does it show I like my grub!!!
Anyway i,ll not go into the holiday too much just the spot of fishing I did while we were there. As it was my 40th birthday while I was out there my other half  booked a day deep sea fishing which I was really looking forward too. Apparently we had the chance of catching many pelagic species including sailfish, tuna, barracuda, wahoo and some others which I can,t remember. We were picked up from the beach of the resort and motored of for half hour or so to a man made fish attracting device around 3 miles out to sea. Here we began to troll lures to see what was at home. For an hour or so nothing happened, then we started to see baitfish jump out of the water, and shortly afterwards I landed a very small Bonito Tuna. We continued to troll through  shoals of small fish which were getting more and more agitated and exploding on the surface as a predator swam through them, but didn,t get anymore takes. In the end I told the skipper i fancied having a go for these smaller fish for a bit and proceeded to set up my sneeker 5 piece rod i,d brought with me. I started to throw a small silver bar spoon i,d brought which i,ve used for mackeral of the coast of Devon and straight away started getting hits. After a couple of hours chucking lures i,d managed a few Creval Jacks to around a pound or so. We kept these and used them as bait for some more trolling. At the end of the day i,d only managed the small fish mentioned which i was a little disappointed with as i would loved to of caught a pelagic fish as they look great fun to catch. Never mind it was an experience.
I actually spent most of the time snorkelling over a reef around 50yds from the resorts beach where there was thousands of brightly coloured fish resident. It was amazing just drifting around watching dozens of different species go about their business. I did have a little dangle from the rocks one evening and managed to catch a few different species on prawns. The most colourful is the one pictured, they were all micro fish but good fun none the less.
I,d love to go back there but this time have a serious spot of fishing from the boat, as well as further out in the bay of the resort as every now and then you,d see a long large fish job clear of the water further out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'RAYS' OF SUNSHINE

SELLING MY BOAT

SMALL RIVER ROVING